Oral Health Director
Health Care For All (HCFA) is a state-based consumer health advocacy organization founded in 1985. HCFA’s mission is to advocate for health justice in Massachusetts by working to promote health equity and ensure coverage and access for all. The organization is recognized as a national leader in its work.
HCFA focuses on expanding health care access, improving quality, and bringing down costs in Massachusetts through its leadership of and participation in numerous policy advocacy coalitions. These coalitions bring together a wide variety of organizations to work collaboratively to make health care changes. By uniting diverse constituencies, HCFA is able to magnify its policy reach on many fronts. HCFA also helps thousands of individuals and families each year to enroll in and renew their health insurance and troubleshoot health coverage issues through our consumer assistance HelpLine. We use the health care access barriers that HelpLine callers report to inform our state-level health advocacy agenda.
The organization’s achievements include leading four waves of broad Massachusetts health reform, including legislation in 2006 that was the precursor for the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Legislation in 2012 resulted in the nation’s first comprehensive law aimed at controlling health care cost growth through adoption of alternative payment methodologies; care coordination; and investments in technology, wellness and prevention. Today, HCFA is leading the campaigns and coalitions necessary to defend the progress we have made in health care access, quality and affordability, while simultaneously working to make improvements on the state level.
For more information, please visit www.hcfama.org.
The Oral Health Director is a grant-funded, part-time position (3 days a week) that oversees the development of broad-based advocacy campaigns dedicated to the integration of dental care into medical care. This experienced health policy professional will be tasked with shaping ambitious efforts aimed at restructuring and improving oral health care delivery in Massachusetts.
The individual will conduct policy analysis, drive advocacy, and lead coalitions. This role will focus on development of oral health policies, including legislative and administrative proposals. It will include strategic planning, developing and strengthening funder relationships and serving as the public face of HCFA’s oral health reform campaign. Working closely with policy, organizing, and communications staff, the Oral Health Director will work towards and report on goals and deliverables in collaboration with key stakeholders, policy makers, and funders.
This position is open to practicing dental clinicians, oral health leaders, and academics as a part-time role to be undertaken in concert with these other responsibilities. The number of days and schedule can be negotiated.
- Develop HCFA’s oral health portfolio and provide overall strategic and operational direction to each of the following projects: Oral Health Integration Project, Improving Oral Health Access for Older Adults and the Dental Therapy Project
- Create a multi-year, legislative and regulatory advocacy plan
- Lead HCFA’s Oral Health Advocacy Taskforce (OHAT), shaping the direction of the state-wide coalition, facilitating the development of a long-term vision, coalition strategy, and communication plan
- Work closely with and guide HCFA’s Project and Policy Coordinator responsible for oral health projects
- Lead engagement of stakeholders representing every sector of the oral health care system
- Work with HCFA’s Communications Director to plan and implement a public communications strategy for HCFA’s Oral Health projects
- Lead writing of reports and grant proposals in collaboration with Development staff, as well as track progress of project deliverables and deadlines
- Identify opportunities to share lessons learned and amplify success though existing national networks and conferences
- The Oral Health Director is supervised by the Director of Government Relations and Policy.
- Masters or clinical degree plus 5 years of relevant experience in oral health practice and policy
- Knowledge of oral health policy issues, as well as public health programs including Medicaid/MassHealth, as well as health care delivery system reform efforts
- Strong communication skills, including persuasive writing, working with the media, public speaking, and training\
- Ability to grasp and analyze complex health policy and political information, and make strategic decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks at one time and to respond to tight timelines and operate effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills, track record of following through to achieve results and ability to manage many tasks simultaneously
- Strong leadership, relationship development, collaborative, and team building skills
- Commitment to organizational mission including issues relating to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Clinical experience as a dental health professional (DMD, DDS, RDH), preferably in Massachusetts
- Experience planning and running legislative and administrative public policy and advocacy campaigns, including mobilizing disparate stakeholders and grassroots organizing
- Experience managing broad coalitions of stakeholders and driving consensus around a common mission and vision
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
- Flexible schedule
- Convenient downtown Boston location
- $60,000 – $62,000 per year
Health Care for All is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status or any other legally protected status. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building an inclusive work environment where all team members are encouraged to be their authentic and whole selves.
Be a health
Support the work of Health Care For All by making a donation today. Your investment enables Health Care For All to help families get the health coverage they need so they can lead healthy lives.