Spanish HelpLine Counselor
Health Care For All (HCFA) is a state-based consumer health advocacy organization founded in 1985. HCFA’s mission is to advocate for health justice in Massachusetts by working to promote health equity and ensure coverage and access for all.
HCFA focuses on expanding health care access, improving quality, and bringing down costs in Massachusetts through its leadership of and participation in numerous policy advocacy coalitions. HCFA is recognized as a national leader in this work. HCFA’s coalition work brings together a wide variety of organizations to work collaboratively to make health care changes. By uniting diverse constituencies, HCFA is able to magnify its policy reach on many fronts. HCFA also helps thousands of individuals and families each year to enroll in and renew their health insurance and troubleshoot health coverage issues through a unique, multilingual consumer assistance HelpLine. Health care access barriers identified by the HelpLine informs a state-level health advocacy agenda.
The organization’s achievements include leading four waves of broad Massachusetts health reform, including legislation in 2006 that was the precursor for the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Legislation in 2012 resulted in the nation’s first comprehensive law aimed at controlling health care cost growth through adoption of alternative payment methodologies, care coordination, and investments in technology, wellness and prevention. HCFA’s important work continues today. During the past year, HCFA has helped to advocate for critical policies enabling consumers to access the care and treatment they need during the pandemic. HCFA is also actively engaging new partners to advance an agenda that addresses the multiple drivers of health disparities that recognize the realities of structural racism in our country.
For more information, please visit www.hcfama.org.
HCFA’s office is centrally located in downtown Boston. HCFA is working in a hybrid environment where most staff are in the office three days a week and at home for two days. As it becomes safe to do so, this position will include frequent travel outside of the home to surrounding communities and towns depending on the relevant work.
HCFA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter the office space. As of January 14th 2022, “fully vaccinated” means those that are eligible per CDC guidance have also received a COVID-19 booster shot.
HCFA is seeking a HelpLine Counselor who is committed to health justice and interested in being part of a team that provides competent, quality health insurance coverage for all callers. This work combines direct service, advocacy and public education to make the health care system more responsive to consumers. The HelpLine Counselor will be a Certified Application Counselor through MassHealth and the Massachusetts Health Connector to assist consumers with enrolling into health insurance.
The HelpLine counselor reports to the Director, Education & Enrollment Services.
- Provide callers with easy-to-understand state health care coverage information;
- Provide customer service with respect and care to all callers;
- Provide screening and direct enrollment to clients over the phone, as well as on occasion in-person assistance;
- Provide essential services that strengthen our local and state health care system;
- Aid other enrollment assisters to troubleshoot cases;
- Monitor and evaluate HelpLine call activity in order to identify systemic problems that need escalation;
- Complete extensive training to learn the intricacies of health insurance rules and regulations;
- Attend enrollment events, as needed;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on the changing health care system in Massachusetts;
- Document call information into the HelpLine database;
- Maintain proprietary and confidential information from outside visitors and all other persons who do not have a legitimate reason to see or use such information in accordance with the organizations WISP document;
- Ability to identify callers’ interested in sharing their story and/or get involved with Health Care For All policy and advocacy work;
- Other duties as required to achieve the goals of the department.
- Ability to write and converse proficiently in Spanish in addition to English is required;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to learn and understand complex health insurance issues;
- Ability to convey complex information in a clear, understandable manner;
- Ability to work well with diverse populations;
- Ability to quickly understand new information;
- Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills;
- Ability to deal calmly in crisis situations;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Ability to multitask and work independently;
- Ability to use a web-based database;
- Prior work as an Enrollment Assister in Massachusetts is a plus, but not required;
- Prior knowledge of the public health insurance programs, policy, and the health care environment in Massachusetts is a plus, but not required.
BENEFITS & SALARY RANGE
- Salary range: $46,000 – $51,000
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
- Convenient downtown Boston location
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: email@example.com. Please put “HELPLINE COUNSELOR” in the subject line.
Health Care For All does not discriminate in hiring based on age, color, ethnicity, race, national origin, primary language, religion, socio-economic status, family status, mental and physical disabilities, veteran status, gender identity characteristics and/or expression, sex, medical condition, sexual orientation or any classification that is protected by federal, state, or local law.
Be a health
Support the work of Health Care For All by making a donation today. Your investment enables Health Care For All to help families get the health coverage they need so they can lead healthy lives.