Human Resources and Operations Manager
Health Care For All (HCFA) is a state-based consumer health advocacy organization founded in 1985. HCFA’s mission is to advocate for health justice in Massachusetts by working to promote health equity and ensure coverage and access for all. The organization is recognized as a national leader in its work.
HCFA focuses on expanding health care access, improving quality, and bringing down health care costs in Massachusetts through its leadership of and participation in numerous policy advocacy coalitions. These coalitions bring together a wide variety of organizations to work collaboratively to make meaningful health policy changes. By uniting diverse constituencies, HCFA is able to magnify its policy reach on many fronts. HCFA also helps thousands of individuals and families each year to enroll in and renew their health insurance and troubleshoot health coverage issues through a unique, multi-lingual consumer assistance HelpLine. HCFA uses the health care access barriers that HelpLine callers report to inform a state-level health advocacy agenda.
The organization’s achievements include leading four waves of broad Massachusetts health reform, including legislation in 2006 that was the precursor for the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Legislation in 2012 resulted in the nation’s first comprehensive law aimed at controlling health care cost growth through adoption of alternative payment methodologies; care coordination; and investments in technology, wellness and prevention. Today, HCFA is leading the campaigns and coalitions necessary to defend the progress that has been made in health care access and affordability, while simultaneously focusing on improvements that can be made at the state level to address health equity.
HCFA’s office is centrally located in downtown Boston. HCFA is currently working in a hybrid at-home and in-person schedule with staff being in the office three days a week.
- Partner with the management team and vendors to administer all company benefit plans including employee enrollments, terminations, and changes; conduct new employee benefit and payroll orientation; conduct open enrollment and other benefit support functions; and serve as a resource to employees with benefit-related questions and issues
- Maintain employee files with complete record of taxes and benefits information, job descriptions, dates and conditions of hire, salary adjustments, and other matters relating to terms of employment or performance
- Coordinate with management and vendors to maintain individual earned time records and time off authorizations
- Collaborate with the Chief of Staff and Chief Operating Officer to advise and update staff as needed on personnel policy or procedures. Recommend revisions to personnel policies, procedures, or benefits and assist with their implementation as-needed
- Oversee HCFA’s recruiting and hiring process including working with the management team and hiring managers to define strategic staffing plans, finalize job descriptions, screen applicants and facilitate the interview process
- Coordinate HCFA’s new employee/intern on-boarding and orientation process including materials, technology and office set-up
- Handle all administrative matters related to retaining and terminating employees including preparing relevant employee correspondence and facilitating office space and technology access changes
- Collaborate with HCFA’s finance team to prepare and submit bi-monthly payroll, maintain accompanying deduction schedules and transmit withholdings in a timely manner
- Collaborate with the Chief of Staff and Chief Operating Officer to ensure that HCFA remains current with all federal and state personnel law and requirements
- Respond accurately and timely to questions from management and employees to resolve or avoid personnel matters
Information and Knowledge Management
- Collaborate with the Chief of Staff and Chief Operating Officer to manage the IT vendor and technology infrastructure. Conduct planning to ensure connectivity and communications needs are met and to keep abreast of appropriate ways to enhance the organization’s technology infrastructure
- Coordinate with the IT Vendor to ensure hardware and software installation and upgrades for all organizational technology are completed on a timely basis
- Ensure that technology issues are identified and resolved in a timely manner. Identify infrastructure and equipment needs to promote efficiency
- Coordinate with HCFA leadership on HIPPA Compliance matters including interfacing with vendors and executing activities related to policy and procedures established by a WISP and/or HIPPA Compliance Program
- Support HCFA management with organizational projects and communication(i.e. facilitate and contribute to organization-wide communications related to operations and procedures)
- Work with HCFA management to sustain and evaluate existing administrative systems and vendors in order to promote efficiency and identify opportunities for system improvements
- Oversee operations vendor management, office administration and facilities in collaboration with the administrative team
- Oversee over-all office administration to ensure that the team has what it needs to be comfortable and successful; plan ahead and help ensure investments are made that maintain an excellent office environment
- Collaborate with HCFA management on the development and implementation of long-and short-term space planning, coordinate facilities planning, telecommunications, and office equipment needs
- Coordinate as-needed with HCFA management on necessary organizational insurance needs. Work with management as well as the organization’s broker to maintain updated insurance schedules and complete insurance renewals as-needed.
- Provide regular updates to HCFA management, report any special needs and make recommendations
- Other duties as assigned
The Human Resources and Operations Manager is supervised by the Chief of Staff.
- Collaborative approach to planning, problem solving and project execution
- Commitment to responding to individual and organizational issues in a professional, compassionate and expedient manner
- Cross-cultural competency: an ability to understand and effectively communicate with team members from different cultural backgrounds
- Ability to clearly manage and refine systems; organize work flows and document and communicate policies and procedures
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple priorities with poise, patience and professionalism
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required (Excel, Word and Outlook)
- Accounting experience and/or experience with employee benefit administration
- Interest in working with a dynamic and diverse team of colleagues within a rapidly moving landscape
- Commitment to the mission of HCFA
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Minimum 5 years of experience in HR/operations positions; experience in the nonprofit sector highly preferred
- Experience and comfort with collaborating to run operations for a medium-sized organization and being accountable for strategy execution
- Experience and comfort with managing a recruitment and hiring process from start to finish
- Willingness to roll up the sleeves and pitch-in as needed, with an appreciation that no initiative is too big or too small
- Comfort with a rapid and dynamic working environment where no day may be the same
- Strong support for and alignment with HCFA’s philosophy and mission -interest in health equity, public health and consumer advocacy
- An optimistic and collaborative spirit with resilience and a sense of humor
BENEFITS & SALARY RANGE
- Salary range: $70,000 -$80,000
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Human Resources and Operations Manager” in the Subject line.
Health Care For All is an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Be a health
Support the work of Health Care For All by making a donation today. Your investment enables Health Care For All to help families get the health coverage they need so they can lead healthy lives.