Communications and Development Associate
Founded in 1985, Health Care For All (HCFA) is one of the most important state-based consumer health advocacy organizations in the country. HCFA’s mission is to promote health justice by working to reduce disparities and ensure coverage and access for all.
HCFA works to expand health care access, improve quality and control costs in Massachusetts through its sponsorship of numerous policy advocacy coalitions. These coalitions bring together a wide variety of organizations to work in concert to make health care changes. By uniting diverse constituencies, HCFA is able to magnify its policy reach on many fronts. HCFA also helps thousands of individuals enroll in and renew their health coverage each year through our consumer assistance HelpLine. We use the health care access barriers that HelpLine callers report to inform our state-level health advocacy agenda.
The organization’s achievements include leading four waves of broad Massachusetts health reform, including legislation in 2006 that was the precursor for the Affordable Care Act. The latest legislation in 2012 resulted in the nation’s first comprehensive law aimed at controlling health care cost growth through the adoption of alternative payment methodologies, care coordination, and investments in technology, wellness, and prevention.
Today HCFA is taking a leadership role once again in the campaigns that will be necessary to defend the progress we have made in health care access, quality, and affordability. For more information, please visit www.hcfama.org.
The Oral Health Integration Project is an initiative at HCFA that seeks to advance the integration of dental services into medical care delivery in Massachusetts. The project is part of a multi-year effort to improve lifelong oral health and reduce dental disease in children by building a network of stakeholders committed to shifting attitudes toward oral health. HCFA’s Oral Health Integration Project seeks to address these priorities in close collaboration with targeted stakeholders including providers, insurers, advocates, and health care consumers.
HCFA seeks a Communications and Development Associate to support critical writing, marketing and technology projects of the organization including website management and content creation, grant prospecting and proposal drafting, annual report compilation, effective organizational branding and other strategic projects as-assigned. The Communications and Development Associate must be an excellent writer with strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Working in collaboration with the Communications Director and the Chief of Staff, the Communications and Development Associate will support critical fundraising, administrative and communications projects as assigned. This is an entry-level position that will support HCFA’s work by presenting the consumer perspective in all organizational content in support of the organization’s mission.
This position is temporarily fully remote and will return to in-person in the Boston office as soon as practicable.
- Undertake various writing tasks as assigned such as drafting press statements, writing blog posts and supporting other staff to write posts, as well as work with staff to draft policy reports and other organizational content. Provide assistance in translating complex health policy content for the community and broader audiences.
- Produce the weekly organizational newsletter using Constant Contact marketing software. Request content from the staff each week, edit the format, manage the recipient list and facilitate the editing and finalization process.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications to manage and monitor HCFA’s social media accounts and digital strategies. Produce creative and accessible content for Facebook and Twitter timed to key legislative or policy moments.
- Learn and/or master website content creation using WordPress. Work with other HCFA-staff to regularly create new or update existing website content. Regularly monitor and update the landing page in consultation with the Director of Communications.
Development and Administrative Support
- Support all annual fundraising activities of the organization in collaboration with the Development and Administration Coordinator and Chief of Staff including planning and executing a large annual fundraising event; designing and facilitating an end-of-year fundraising campaign and other activities as assigned.
- Collaborate with the Development and Administration Coordinator to review and monitor the organizational grants calendar.
- Contribute to the drafting and creation of grant proposal and reporting templates and to proposal completion and submission.
- Assist with grant prospecting (research and organization of potential grant opportunities).
- Utilize a Salesforce database to log and track donations and other critical information.
- Undertake various writing tasks as assigned such as contributing to annual reports, drafting correspondence, acknowledgment letters and other projects.
- Conduct research and compile memorandum for managers to prepare them for meetings or inform decision-making.
The Communications and Development Associate is supervised by the Chief of Staff
- Excellent and versatile writing skills. Comfort with taking on multiple writing-assignments of diverse focus at one time
- Either an Associates or Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of related work experience is welcomed, however comparable work experience would also be sufficient in lieu of a degree
- Self-starter and problem solver with an interest in learning new skills and taking on unique and diverse projects
- Interest in public policy or health care policy and commitment to social justice
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, including the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with team members in a diverse community
- Experience and comfort working with social media platforms
- Experience working with all Microsoft Office products
- Commitment to HCFA’s mission and an appreciation for communicating with the public about HCFA’s work
BENEFITS & SALARY RANGE
Salary range: $40,000 – $45,000
Generous paid time off policy
Robust benefits package
Health Care For All is an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position. Please put “Communications and Development Associate” in the subject line.
Be a health
Support the work of Health Care For All by making a donation today. Your investment enables Health Care For All to help families get the health coverage they need so they can lead healthy lives.