Health Care For All (HCFA) is a state-based consumer health advocacy organization founded in 1985. HCFA’s mission is to advocate for health justice in Massachusetts by working to promote health equity and ensure coverage and access for all. The organization is recognized as a national leader in its work.
HCFA uses three strategies to conduct its work: direct service, community engagement, and policy and advocacy campaigns. HCFA helps tens of thousands of individuals and families in five languages enroll in and renew their health insurance coverage each year and troubleshoot health coverage issues through a unique, multi-lingual consumer assistance HelpLine. HCFA staff are also in the community working with a diverse group of local community- and faith-based organizations conducting outreach work, education efforts and supporting individuals to share their stories and play a role in policy change. HCFA uses the insights from HelpLine callers and community residents to shape the organization’s advocacy agenda. HCFA policy work is conducting through a health equity lens and seeks to expand health care access to everyone in the state and bring down health care costs in Massachusetts through its leadership of and participation in numerous policy advocacy coalitions. These coalitions bring together a wide variety of organizations to work collaboratively to make meaningful health policy changes. By uniting diverse constituencies, HCFA is able to magnify its policy reach on many fronts.
The organization’s achievements include leading Massachusetts health reform efforts, including legislation in 2006 that was the blueprint for the Affordable Care Act. Today, HCFA is leading the campaigns and coalitions necessary to improve health care access and affordability, as well as address the many inequities in our current health care system.
For more information, please visit www.hcfama.org.
As our Associate Director, HelpLine & Public Programs, you will work hand-in-hand with the Director, HelpLine & Public Programs to manage the day-to-day operations of HCFA’s multilingual helpline. This will include responsibilities such an ensuring the HelpLine is properly staffed as well as managing technology, collecting relevant data, and supporting counselors with resolving complex caller cases. Additionally, you will also own and manage all HelpLine related analytics and reporting for internal and external audiences. In this role, you will collaborate with the Director to monitor public programs and provide feedback to policymakers to ensure Massachusetts public programs are optimally serving the people of the Commonwealth.
The Associate Director, HelpLine & Public Programs is supervised by the Director, HelpLine and Public Programs.
- Support and monitor day-to-day operations of HCFA’s HelpLine. Inform the Director, HelpLine & Public Programs of any issues or trends impacting customer service or performance metrics.
- Develop and implement systems and procedures that support the HelpLine running efficiently and effectively.
- Provide troubleshooting support to counselors, as needed, around HelpLine technology issues.
- Provide support to HelpLine counselors to resolve complex customer questions or issues.
- Evaluate, monitor and ensure compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures that impact the HelpLine data and callers.
- Oversee the building of HelpLine counselor training resources and library.
- Support with the training and onboarding of new HelpLine counselors.
- Support the development of training curriculum for HelpLine counselors.
- Support HCFA’s efforts to identify caller health care trends and share stories/trends with our internal team to help HCFA prioritize health related issues based on feedback from HelpLine callers.
- Oversee maintenance of comprehensive resource database for enrollment counselors.
- Oversee maintenance of HCFA’s IN THE LOOP Massachusetts – a private online community for enrollment assisters.
Data Reporting/Analytics & Grant Writing/Reporting
- Manage all data collection and reporting efforts relating to the HelpLine operations as well as analytics for grant reports/proposals or state agency reports.
- Support the Director with writing grant reports/proposals related to the HelpLine.
- Ensure that call reports are accurate and recorded in the Salesforce database.
- Oversee all HelpLine metrics for internal and external audiences such as funding efforts, partnerships with strategic partners/organizations or state agencies
- Use surveys, data dashboards, and database reports to support the monitoring and evaluation of HelpLine performance and metrics
- Monitor caller’s satisfaction levels and participate in developing improvement plans.
- Establish relationships with community groups, organizations or strategic partners to facilitate advocacy and health care related referrals for callers.
- Attend coalitions, roundtables, or other events as appropriate to increase awareness of HCFA’s HelpLine.
- Provide presentations as needed on the public programs in Massachusetts.
- 5+ years of experience working in a social service-related helpline environment as an individual contributor and in a helpline operations manager capacity.
- Robust experience with helpline operations, data collection/analysis, and metrics
- Knowledge of the public health insurance programs, policy and health care environment in Massachusetts is strongly desired.
- Prior work as an enrollment assister in Massachusetts is a plus, but not required.
- Organized and efficient, capable of managing multiple projects with competing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment while also being a proactive self-starter.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to communicate complicated health care and public health concepts in an accessible and culturally appropriate manner.
- Ability to lead and work in cross functional teams and collaborate with others.
- Commitment to HCFA’s mission including issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and web-based databases such as Salesforce.
- Bilingual language capability required (Spanish or Portuguese preferred)
- Salary range: $70,000 – $75,000
- Retirement Plans
- 401(k) or Roth 401(k) retirement plans with a safe harbor employer contribution of 3% (you get the 3% whether you contribute or not!)
- Your contributions and the employer contributions vest immediately
- Medical Insurance
- HMO and PPO Options via Harvard Pilgrim (no deductible plans)
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 15 vacation days (20 vacation days after two years of service) per year
- 3 personal days per year
- 15 sick days per year
- 12 well-being days per year (each team member gets to take one day off per month to completely unplug and recharge)
- 11 paid holidays per year
- That’s a total of 56 days paid days of per year!
- Medical and Dependent Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- FSAs allow you to set aside pre-tax dollars for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life insurance at 2x your salary with a maximum of $400,000. The benefit is doubled in the event of accidental death.
- Life insurance for spouse and each child ($10,000 for spouse and $5,000 for child)
- Long-term disability benefit that covers 60% of salary after 90 days of disability
- Outside Health Insurance Reimbursement
- If you obtain health insurance elsewhere (through a parent, spouse or domestic partner), you are eligible for a reimbursement of up to $13,212.84 per year.
- Fitness Reimbursement
- $150 per year
- Parental Leave
- Up to 12 weeks of protected leave to bond with your new child
Health Care for All is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status or any other legally protected status. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building an inclusive work environment where all team members are encouraged to be their authentic and whole selves.